24 is not my year. Not even close. So many things have happened health wise and personal that just makes this year kind of terrible. In between all of that, it hasn't been bad. I've had lots of happy moments but there's been big things that have come around. My shoulder got messed up, my heart got broken, and I had a holter monitor hooked up to me. Personal struggles have numbered the board. My anxiety has been crazy at points. It's just been a year. 25 can't come fast enough. And hopefully it offers some relief as the last year of a dependent on my parents' insurance, or is a blessing in case anything major happens. Let's hope that's not the case.
Anyways, so this Holter Monitor thing. I can remember the first time that I felt my heart palpitate. I was a freshman in high school. It was one of the strangest feelings I've had. I stopped what I was doing and went out into the hallway. I thought I was dying. Then it would happen occasionally ever since then. So on Monday I was busy working out and it happened again. This time it came hard and fast and I didn't know what to do. I dropped my jump rope and went in the house. I grabbed my phone and didn't know if I should call 911 or home or go and get my roommate. It felt like my heart was going to beat out of my chest and I couldn't slow it down. Usually they last for a few seconds and go away. This lasted longer and was powerful. This was the first time, since freshman year, that I was scared. It usually, when it happens, startles me and takes my breath away. I can calm myself down and be fine. But this scared me. A doctor's appointment was made for Wednesday and I was nervous.
Wednesday came, physical was done, EKG was done and a Holter Monitor was ordered. Thursday morning I went in and they hooked me up. I would become best friends with this monitor for 24 hours. I tried my hardest to get my heart to freak out. I couldn't get anything to make it palpitate like it does. I am hoping that something did show up on the monitor and they'll be able to give me an answer. Or, I might have to wait a year until my next physical and talk to the doctor again and be like hey this isn't normal. Holter Monitors can vary in how long you are attached to them. Usually it's 24 hours, a week or 30 days. I just want an answer. The NP couldn't hear anything abnormal when she listened to my heart beat. The EKG came back normal. I guess now, I just have to wait until they call me with the results. I also have to go get some lab work done, so we'll see what those results have to tell. Hearts are kind of a big deal, especially in my family, where there's the family history.
Here's to results!


No comments:
Post a Comment